We are all familiar with the old saying, “teaching an old dog new tricks”. After reading a blog by Monica, I remember how I felt as a new teacher trying to learn the already established customs of the school that had just hired me to teach. Can you remember that feeling? Maybe these words will help you empathize: lonely, afraid, uncertain and uncomfortable. Thankfully, those feelings changed as the first year came to a completion and you quickly learned the customs. I am sure that for those of us who feel like a “new” teacher learning “old” tools of the technology trade and the Web 2.0," this too shall pass”.
The importance of technology in our everyday lives is so important that we can no longer resist the knowledge. I can’t help but to think that lots of teachers feel this way. The resistance is not with the technology, but rather with the time, money and ability to use the tools. Again, the Read/Write Web is here to stay-or at least until a newer better version comes along!
Let’s look again at the standards for technology. In the article, Technology Foundation Standards for All Students http://cnets.iste.org/Students/s_stands.html , the standards are divided into six categories. Students have to master all six standards. The site links to the Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for All Teachers, Curriculum Examples, and Scenarios.
I must admit that I never really bothered to pay attention to these standards until recently. My initial thought to these standards was ,“Sounds like Greek to me!” Seriously, many of us were driven into shock when the original standards for subject content came down the pipe. But now, we are so familiar with the “Curriculum bible” that when we don’t refer to the standards/GLEs or include them into our instruction, we feel as though we are breaking a commandment. I can’t wait until the day that I feel this way about the technology standards.
In his blog," Will Richardson: Connective Teaching: How the Read/Write Web Challenges Traditional Practice", (http://21stcenturylearning.typepad.com/blog/2007/02/will_richardson.html, Will suggest that teachers do whatever is necessary on their part to prepare themselves for integrating the New Web into their instruction. “Networks are crucial and the best way to stay current is to network with other passionate learners who want to learn the things you do. As educators we must have a willingness to share and be transparent.”
As more teachers are encouraged to utilize technology in their own personal lives then perhaps they will see the benefits of learning how to incorporate technology and its socialization aspect into student learning. Because of the mandated standards for technology; more teachers are rethinking and evaluating this critical and crucial component of education. Jeanell is right in reference to if the president acknowledges importance, it becomes important to all. In her blog titled “What the Presidential Candidates Should be Promising”, she quotes:“If the president understands the importance of technology then he will pass that down to the rest of the country who will then begin to understand the value of technology who will then pass that on.”
Issue: How can teachers prepare themselves in order to implement technology in students’ daily learning? Who will prepare teachers for this task?
While thinking about a solution to this, I decided to agree with Monica on this one. Thanks to Monica for finding and sharing another blog by a fellow teacher, titled “Resistance, Education, and Change”. (www.chrislott.org/2007/07/18/resistance-education-and-change) Mr. Lott offers us good advice as to how to solve our issue.
“Mr. Lott identifies an underlying cause of educator resistance to technology as being fear of the time commitment, but as he points out, learning to use and utilizing technology will not add to your time commitment, just manipulating the existing time more efficiently.” New teachers quickly adapt and learn the old ways and sometimes they even bring new ideas or customs that make the school even better. With the new tools that are being developed, learning the new web is more user friendly. If your school is not promoting the web as efficiently as you need them to, find a mentor, blog or be a student for a day. Do what is needed to learn. Who is to say that this "new" teacher won't come up with new and improved methods of learning the Web 2.0!
I invite you to share in my heartfelt reflections as a life long learner in the 21st Century world of technology.
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who Am I?
- L
- I won't define myself as to what I am to others but rather: what I am to myself. I most enjoy my role as a mommy to a 16 year old daughter. BUT I am much more than a mother. I am a human being still searching for so many other things, that life has to offer. I don't want to define my destiny, for God has already done that for me. I will strive hard to never give up on my dreams and or goals. Someday, I would love to travel the world and write novels. My hobbies are boxers, gardening, traveling, reading, consulting, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and enjoying the company of true friends on a beach.
1 comment:
Yes! If we can’t get more time, then even more important it is how we organize and get the most efficient use of the time we have to learn and become familiar with the technology in place.
Post a Comment