How often do we here the words differential instruction, IEPs, constructivist instruction, student centered learning activities, ELL/ESL and a host of other educational buzz words? Well, if we are worried about educating the Net Gen, we can not afford to forget these subgroups of the Net Generation. These diverse groups of students learn best through peer-to- peer, hands on, visual and kinesthetic learning opportunities. They want to be a part of creating projects and solutions too. I can only imagine what this would do for these students self esteem.
Now that I am bloggling, tagging and researching, the Web 2.0 is like a candy store with so many choices. Presently, one of my favorites is Will Richardson’s site! Will Richardson is the author of the Weblogg-ed blog (http://www.weblogg-ed.com/), and the author of Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms.
After reading Richardson’s, "The New Face of Learning",
http://www.edutopia.org/new-face-learning it is more apparent that the Web 2.0 is for all types of life long learners. Richardson poses the issue and question of, “And what happens to traditional concepts of classrooms and teaching when we can now learn anything, anywhere, anytime?”
Intriguing, enlightening and overwhelming are just some of my present emotions as a teacher and a student. My own learning has been completely revamped as I have become a participant in my own life long learning. I have only just begun with blogging and wikis. When we develop a passion for something, we begin to enjoy that activity. Since my plunge into the Read/Write Web, I am willing to change my teaching- to include all my learners. Will Richardson’s delicious site led me to other sites where teachers share how they are using technologies and techniques that leverage this newfound network in ways that look nothing like what's happening in traditional classrooms.
As educators we struggle with reaching all students, closing the gap, effectively teaching diverse students and the way we're losing control over the content we used to own. It is plain to see that the traditional way of rows of seats and hand me down information is no longer effective. How will we as educators and learners incorporate this new found technology for all diverse learners? Perhaps this type if inclusive teaching, began its grassroots with Dr. Hawkins. I hope to follow in Dr. Hawkins' footsteeps. Dr. Hawkins served for seven years as director of the Center for Children and Technology in New York City.
http://www.edutopia.org/node/307 "The World at Your Fingertips" states, “This can be seen most dramatically in the ways that assistive technologies empower students with disabilities, allowing them to contribute in ways never before possible. It is increasingly clear that all students can benefit when technology is used intelligently to provide meaningful content and powerful tools for learning.”
When I visited the site, I immediately tagged it. There is so much that a teacher can do with diverse students and technology.
Issue: How can interactive technology offer richer materials for learning, affect the way time is used in schools, and support ongoing professional development for teachers?
Solution: The world is made up of all types of people and we all learn differently. So why not use technology to capture the attention of all diverse learners and assist them with their learning? We can use technology to help students to read, learn a language, and communicate with others like themselves. We have at our finger tips so much to assist us. Audio books, e-books, blogs, computers that help with writing skills and spelling are just some of the technology tools that can be used to assist diverse learners.
I would like to hear some of the ways that you have used technology for your special population of students.
I invite you to share in my heartfelt reflections as a life long learner in the 21st Century world of technology.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who Am I?
- L
- I won't define myself as to what I am to others but rather: what I am to myself. I most enjoy my role as a mommy to a 16 year old daughter. BUT I am much more than a mother. I am a human being still searching for so many other things, that life has to offer. I don't want to define my destiny, for God has already done that for me. I will strive hard to never give up on my dreams and or goals. Someday, I would love to travel the world and write novels. My hobbies are boxers, gardening, traveling, reading, consulting, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and enjoying the company of true friends on a beach.
2 comments:
Elle, I am a huge supporter of anything that accomodates diverse learners! I think that you are so right that Web 2.0 is another opening door on this issue. When I was student teaching, I worked with a student who had a great deal of trouble ignoring distractions. To help him learn about Mars, my mentor and I worked it out with the media specialist for this student to go to the library for half an hour of every class period for two weeks. While at the library, he used the Internet to get research to create a PowerPoint about Mars. This activity taught him effective research techniques, how to organize and group information, how to perfect his PowerPoint skills, and self-discipline. When he was finished he presented it to the class and they were in awe and he was so proud. From then on, when we would be working on something in class he couldn't wait for the directions to be over so he could "get working" as he called it.
Thank you for the heads up on Will Richardson’s site. I definitely want to keep an eye on that one. So much to see, so little time to see it! What a wealth of information. We have shared a lot of interesting ideas and have learned many new and exciting things. I have already been able to use some of them, however I am looking forward to trying more of these out in my Spanish classes.
Post a Comment