Today more than ever, children of all ages are using the computer. We utilize the computer for a vast number of reasons. Some of us use this tool for fun, for learning, for communicating and for teaching. Prior to the 21st Century, computers were not used for all of these reasons and research doesn’t really tell us if we encountered the problem of privacy and security before now. But I am sure that it was not as great of a concern back then as it is now.
Case scenario #1: I sat down at my computer to read my emails. So many emails spammed into my address. How can I stop this unsolicted mail? I want this type of mail stopped without having my address fed into other inappropriate sites. So, I just delete the mail, but it keeps happening. This will not be the last that I receive mail from these people. The receipt of these sites is now in my computer's history.
Case scenario #2: As a teacher, who is learning about the potential benefits of integrating blogs and wikis into my classroom instruction, I have joined a blog site. I can access the site from home, but I can’t access the site from school. What do I do now?
After reading, “Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful web tools for classrooms by W. Richardson and a few chapters of Wikonomics by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams, I decided that collaboration and communication through the New Web is the 21st Century's methodology of teaching. However, my concern for privacy, security, spamming, filtering and blocking has now become an issue.
The issue is: Is too much restriction in the name of protection, the best for our students? I am not so sure. I don't want the responsibility of my students viewing material that is not appropriate, but is there a happy medium?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deleting_Online_Predators_Act_of_2006
Although the DOPA bill's intentions were for the best, the bill was not well thought out to achieve its purpose. The bill would have prohibited schools and libraries access to “commercial Web sites that let users create public ‘Web pages or profiles’ and also offer a discussion board, chat room, or e-mail service.” Many schools currently have policies which block sites such as MySpace, and any other site that mentions sex or profanity.
http://www.schoolcio.com/showArticle.php?articleID=193502102 “The MySpace Effect”, by Christopher Heun , explains why MySpace is such a big enemy for schools. Some of the reasons sited are:
*inappropriate content/language
*cyber bullying
But that doesn't mean social networking tools should be banned. Some students will have access to blocked sites after school. In the article,” U.S. senator: It’s time to ban Wikipedia in schools, libraries”, by Preston Gralla, Sen. Ted Stevens suggest that there be a ban to access the Wikipedia, MySpace and other social networking spaces (blogs) in schools and libraries. He introduced Senate Bill 49. Some are referring to it as the son of DOPA.
There are some pros and cons of the Wikipedia, but I am not sure that banning it is the answer.
http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/4598
As an educator, I encourage the use of technology. I try to engage my students by having them use technology tools. We use the Internet to search, practice, learn, play games, and more. In the upcoming school year, I plan to do more with blogs, wikis, handhelds and videos from YouTube. As an individual, I use the Internet to learn, communicate and get information. So as a way to resolve this critical issue, I agree with such sites as, http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/schlibrariesandyou/parentsandcomm/ALA_print_layout_1_203195_203195.cfm ,” To Filter or Not: The Pros and Cons of Using Parental Control Software” that offer happy mediums to the issue of privacy and security. The article suggests such sites as:
” GetNetWise www.getnetwise.org A resource "to help kids have safe, educational, and entertaining online experiences," the site has a lengthy list of tools for filtering explicit content, to monitor a minor's access, or limit time online. Enter the type of content you are concerned with (i.e. sex, hate, violence, etc.), the type of technology (i.e., www, email, FTP), and the type of operating system of your computer, and a possible list of matching parental control software products will be listed with links.”
This coming school year, I intend to provide parents with websites that teach children how and where they can go on-line while in school. I will advocate for collaborative filtering and punishing those students that do not follow the policies, instead of punishing all students. I will also advocate for software that monitor all computers from a teachers computer. I think that we should embrace educating our students for the future and not prohibit them.
Wish me well- I’ll be new to this!
I invite you to share in my heartfelt reflections as a life long learner in the 21st Century world of technology.
Sunday, August 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who Am I?
- L
- I won't define myself as to what I am to others but rather: what I am to myself. I most enjoy my role as a mommy to a 16 year old daughter. BUT I am much more than a mother. I am a human being still searching for so many other things, that life has to offer. I don't want to define my destiny, for God has already done that for me. I will strive hard to never give up on my dreams and or goals. Someday, I would love to travel the world and write novels. My hobbies are boxers, gardening, traveling, reading, consulting, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and enjoying the company of true friends on a beach.
No comments:
Post a Comment