As an educator, I try to reflect on what works and what needs to be fined tuned in order to work. Every year before school begins, I stress about the students and now the families that will enter through my classroom door and my life.
I use to think that these students and their families were entering into my classroom only for a short amount of time and leaving with more knowledge and the stamp of completing the year with me. I no longer feel this way due to the fact that some of these families enter not with the intention of making the year successful for everyone but to see just how much degrading they can do to the teacher. Teaching is no longer about educating the students on how to get along in life and how to be better people by learning...it is about surviving as a person!
I pride myself with the gift of teaching and I life people. I truly do, but I don't think those are characteristics that will make a person successful in education today. Rather a person has to know who is who and whose toes not to pinch- just a little-even if it means helping the student to succeed.
So wish me luck this year as I embark on another year in the classroom. Pray that we remember why teachers TEACH!
I invite you to share in my heartfelt reflections as a life long learner in the 21st Century world of technology.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who Am I?
- L
- I won't define myself as to what I am to others but rather: what I am to myself. I most enjoy my role as a mommy to a 16 year old daughter. BUT I am much more than a mother. I am a human being still searching for so many other things, that life has to offer. I don't want to define my destiny, for God has already done that for me. I will strive hard to never give up on my dreams and or goals. Someday, I would love to travel the world and write novels. My hobbies are boxers, gardening, traveling, reading, consulting, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and enjoying the company of true friends on a beach.
No comments:
Post a Comment